Renting A Home With A Pool? Your Rental Agreement Should Contain These 3 Vital Clauses

Everyone loves the idea of a backyard swimming pool, but it comes with certain responsibilities for enhanced safety. If you're planning to lease a rental property equipped with a non-shared swimming pool, then you should be aware of certain clauses that your rental agreement should contain to ensure that the landlord or real estate agent is complying with local regulations. Your rental property agreement should ideally contain these vital clauses.

Details Of A Pool Safety Certificate

Before signing on the dotted line of a rental property agreement, be sure that your landlord provides clear details of a pool safety certificate from the local council. Since every local council stipulates specific rules, the certificate must comply with them. For instance, all Queensland pools must be recorded under the pool safety register. A certified pool safety inspector will determine whether the pool complies with regulations and will issue a pool safety certificate. In NSW, real estate agents or landlords are compelled to provide valid certificates of compliance for swimming pools to tenants as part of the rental property agreement. These certificates are typically valid for a 3-year period from the issue date. If you think that the certificate of compliance is outdated or if you can't find one, get in touch with the landlord or real estate agent immediately.

Clarity Over Maintenance Responsibilities

Your rental property agreement should clearly stipulate the level of responsibilities for pool repairs and maintenance between tenants and landlords. For example, tenants are typically responsible for keeping the pool and surrounding premises clean. But any break down in the motor or water pump is likely the responsibility of the landlord. Make sure that maintenance and repair responsibilities are clearly dictated in the agreement, so that you don't have to pay for general wear and tear of parts around the pool.

Make Sure Pool Fencing Details Are Included

Apart from the pool, fencing around it is also governed by local regulations for the safety of kids and pets. If you have children, be sure that the fencing complies with local council rules. For instance, pool fences in NSW, South Australia and Victoria should be at least 1.2 metres high. There should also be a minimal gap between the edge of the pool fence bottom and the ground. Safety gates must be self-locking, so that kids and pets cannot tamper with them. This information should be included in your rental property agreement to ensure that you're on the same page with your landlord or real estate agent.

If you're leasing out a rental property from a landlord or real estate agent, make sure the agreement contains clauses with these details.

About Me

A layman's guide to dealing with real estate agents?

Are you buying your first home? Is dealing with the brokers and agents seeming a little intimidating? You're not alone! Almost everyone finds this difficult the first time round. I've bought and sold a dozen properties over the course of my life, and along the way I've picked up some tricks for dealing with the people you need to help you out. I've started this blog to share my knowledge, and over the coming posts I'll be helping you to learn how to choose the right agent or broker, what you need to ask them and how best they can help you through the process.


Latest Posts

12 October 2017
If you live in a building that is overseen by an owners corporation and are having a dispute with a neighbour, there are a number of ways in which the

25 September 2017
If you are like most people, the value of your home represents a sizable portion of your net worth. Whether you are living in your starter home or you

9 September 2017
If you are planning on purchasing a new home, you should think about hiring a professional for the conveyancing process. Professional conveyancing ref